According to a survey of beyondwords, a British company providing publishers with advanced AI voices, the audiobook market is in constant and exponential growth (year 2021).
To summarize here are some figures for the US and the UK markets:
In the USA
- 54% of the US population (aged 12+) have listened to at least one audiobook, and 56% of listeners are under the age of 45.
- 55% of US listeners say they listen most at home, while 30% typically listen in the car.
- 38% of US audiobook listeners are subscribed to at least one audiobook service.
- US publishers' audiobook revenue grew 12% in 2020 to $1.3 billion.
- Business professionals cite listening to storytelling (26%) and accessibility/time-saving (26%) as the top benefits of audiobooks.
- Most business professionals listen to audiobooks while driving (31%), doing housework/DIY (25%), exercising (18%) or walking (10%)
In the UK
- 8% of adult British readers typically consume books into audiobook format with the following percentage per demographic: 6% (16–24 y.o.), 13% (25–39 y.o.), 7% (30–55 y.o.), 6% (55+ y.o.). 9% of them are male and 7% are female.
- 24 million audiobook purchases in the 12 months to June 2021,
accounting for a 6% share of the book market.
We will add more surveys from different geographical areas as soon as they became available. In the meanwhile, enjoy an audiobook!